Blog Archive

Tuesday 26 March 2013

INDIA Part 6 Indian pattern and decoration

On this blog entry I will be posting some photos of the most incredible decorative work I have ever seen.
It ranges from inlay work with precious jewels  to carved marble, from patchwork to painting, from embroidery to mosaic. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

 Precious and semi-precious stones used in inlay work. This is modern work.


The inlay work at the Taj Mahal.











Modern inlay work.
















Modern inlay work.










Beautiful script decorating the walls of the Taj Mahal.

Part of the decorative Ganesh Pol gate at the Amber Fort in Jaipur. It was built in1640.


Patchwork in a rich colour palette using mirrors.

Patchwork by gypsies.

Wall hangings decorating the warehouse!!!




This, unbelievably, is embroidery, thick and luscious.
















This is a tree decorated by many many hands at a roadside shrine, with layer upon layer 
of wool, cotton and thread.

The amazing Kanch Burj (glass turret) decorated with red and silver glass.
This room is in the City Palace, Udaipur.

I loved the strong sunlight casting intricate patterns in the darkness.


There is a touch of Celtic in this finely carved disc at the Jain Temple, Ranakpur.


This wonderfully decorated frontage is part of the City Palace, Udaipur.

I have been inspired and astonished by the most wonderful workmanship, the love and care, as well as the time and patience that must have gone into all this decorative work. I am running out of descriptive words!
In my next and probably last India post, I will be describing how I will use my inspiration.
I`ve already made a few things.


1 comment: