Blog Archive

Thursday 12 April 2018

Beetle Invasion

The ground in places, is still incredibly wet, which is holding up quite a few jobs, but the weather is set to change, for the better.
And thank goodness for that.
We are still catching up with March jobs, such as weeding the flowerbeds and sorting the compost heaps.
I am pleased to say the latter is well under way with the acquisition of two blue pallets. Though I have to say that sawing them was not easy for Steve, due to waterlogging.
The pond is suffering from a bad case of blanket weed which seems to get thicker every time we visit.
But the kingcups make up for it.
The first nine dahlias are in.
Just a few more to go.
They have survived the winter well under their carpet blankets.
I did find two nests ..... mice. I expect they thought there would be a good source of food for their babies.
The damson blossom is almost fully out .... always so early.
It was warm enough for two more scarecrows to come out.
The fairy garden is ready for its residents.
The small plants have fared well throughout winter and only needed a little tweaking.
I have taken literally hundreds of sedum cuttings and I shall use them to fill in gaps.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There should also be some left over for the little nursery.


 The daffodils have been a bright focal point.
They don`t always do so well.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The tortoises are venturing out.
Plug plants are arriving.

Interestingly, on a recent walk at the beach, I found it rather unpleasant to be assaulted by a barrage of flea beetles.
They were attracted by the fact that I was wearing a white jacket and my light hair colour.
We think they were coming across the Channel.
When I got home I found them everywhere, even in my underwear, and they were nipping!

I`ve only ever seen these on my sweetpeas occasionally.
It was quite a phenomenon.

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment