Blog Archive

Thursday 5 April 2018

Yellow Stars and Green Grubs

The first thing that greeted me at the garden was a splash of sunshine yellow to match the glorious day.
There were lots of yurters around enjoying the fine weather and the animals.
Cream and yellow starred tulips in the old water trough,
soon to be joined by budding forgetmenots.
Anne helped me brush off the trolley in the Wool Barn and I set up the latest crafts.

Yesterday evening I sorted through it all, 
choosing what to bring first.
Steve, in the meantime put in the sweetpea posts 
and I erected the hazel poles. 
It seems to mark the start of the gardening year, 
just as dismantling marks the end. 
The first scarecrow came out to enjoy the very welcome sun.
Steve found this huge grub. I`m not sure what it is though.
We cleared the end vegetable bed of foxgloves, repositioning them around the garden.
The sun continued to shine and the bumblebees were out.
The damson blossom had just opened. 
The pond is full of blanket weed so we used the last of the barley straw, stuffed into the leg of an old pair of tights.
The straw gives off chemicals that discourage blanket weed.
It looks like a rather strange pond creature. 
It will take some time to go under.
I saw some indistinct movement in the water.
It`s warming up.
I planted two packs of rainbow gladioli where 
the soil has dried out nicely..
I uncovered the dahlia tubers. They seem to have fared well over the winter. Mice thought it was a good place to nest.
(Mice and I are not on good terms just lately.)
Tobacco plants have seeded themselves in the polytunnel again. What a fabulous show they make and the perfume is divine.

I enjoyed the shrubs and bulbs flowering at this time.
Forsythia
and grape hyacinths.



 
And I reviewed what needs doing next time.
I am waiting for it to dry out a little more.
It wasn,t until today that I fully appreciated how far behind we are ..... with seed sowing, tidying and preparation.
Even though it is April, we are still doing March jobs.
At some point we will catch up.
A truly lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment